Monday, January 4, 2010

SNOW DAY!

I wasn't really looking forward to the first day back to school. I had a fun week of sightseeing and I wouldn't have really minded some more time to relax... but Monday came and I had to be at school by 10 to teach art to Mars class.

I received a text from a friend when I woke up saying to look outside.... I was expecting there to be some snow, but not a whole lot. I looked out my window and BAM there it was: the beginning of an Iowa winter. We had a lot of snow on the ground, about 6 or 7 inches. Everything was covered in snow. It was awesome! One of my co-teachers that has been here for 4 years said that he has never seen it snow so much. Kind of exciting.


Usually when I come to school on Mondays, all the Korean teachers and all the kindergarteners are there. When I arrived today, however, Mr. Nam (one of the directors) was the only one in the buidling. I didn't get a call saying school was cancelled, but I hadn't yet checked my email for the day... I thought for sure he was going to tell me to go right back home because it was a snowday. Nope! He asked how my vacation was. I said fine. I sat down at my dest and waited for the other teachers and the kids to show up. Little by little, a few people started to show up. I taught my art class and sat down to plan the lessons for the rest of the day.


After awhile, our supervising teaching came in and told us all afternoon classes for the day were cancelled! SNOW DAY!! We only had to teach the kindy class and the rest of the afternoon we had off! Another surprise awaited me in my Kindy class today. I have a new student. His name is David. No pictures yet, but he's a pretty cute kid. He wanted to speak a lot of Korean today, but he really surprised me when he said, "Emily Teacher, ghosts live in a pumpkin patch!" I was caught a little off gaurd because the only thing I had heard David say was "I'm fine" when I asked him how he was today. I think David is going to fit in just fine with our class!


It was perfect for our first day back to school... we got to ease in to it a little. The only downside is that we might have to make up for it on the weekend. But we'll find out about that tomorrow. For now, I'm just going to enjoy the rest of my snow day!!


Here's a picture of some kids playing in the snow...

No comments:

Post a Comment