Friday, October 30, 2009

I have now been teaching at SLP for one month! The time has gone by so fast and I'm really loving my job! Teaching English is a lot different than teaching in a regular classroom in the US. All of my classes have a book that I teach from, and all of the kids I teach can already speak some English. A typical day for me begins at about 12:30 when I go in to get everything ready for the day and make sure I have all my lessons planned and all the materials I need. My first class is my Kindie (Kindergarten) class which is from 1:20-2:40. I have 3 kids: Dana, Billy and Nathan! They are the CUTEST little kids ever! They are about 4 years old and so soo tiny! Now I'm sure you can imagine, me being the tallest one in the school and having the smallest kids... well, I'm sure it looks pretty funny when come in to the class to give them hugs everyday! They are my favorite class to teach! My next classes range from about 9-12 or 13 year olds. I'm so impressed with how much they know and how fast all of these kids learn! They pick things up so fast and it's just so amazing! I love it!

The Kindie classes took a field trip to VIPS restaraunt last Friday! It's an all-you-can-eat buffet, and it was amazing! The kids got to make a cookie, color a mask, and then eat an amazing lunch! It was a lot of fun and I was really impressed with how well all the kids behaved!

Some things about teaching/things that have happened to me:
~Kids are not considerate when it comes to asking questions, and they expect an answer.
Examples: Are you married? How old are you? Do you have a baby?
~Kids will tell you what they think.
Examples: Teacher, you have a very long nose. It's very pointy!
~Kids will poke you in places they shouldn't and stick their hands up your shirt.
~Rock, Paper, Sissors is the ONLY way to settle an argument, decide who goes first or who's turn it really is.
~It is okay to give your students hugs!!! :)
Here are some pictures of a few of my kids

2 comments:

  1. and you can tell your kids that you will punch them in the face if they don't shut their mouths and you won't even get in trouble for that either

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, Emily! Keep up the good work! I mailed Jacob's travelogue on Monday and told Celia that you were going to write in it. She said Jacob will be so excited when he gets a postcard from you and knows what's coming later; thank you so much for doing that! Those kids are sure gutsy - just grab their little hands and say "no!" Can't believe you climbed that high mountain!!! Will miss you at Thanksgiving but you can be sure we'll be talking about your great adventures! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete