Friday, October 16, 2009

Tuna...

As most of you know, seafood is not really my favorite thing. Iowa doesn't really have an ample supply of seafood, but I've done my best to stay away from it. I like my dad's grilled fish every once in awhile, but anything more adventurous than that is just a little too much for me!

Apparently, there is a restaurant in the area called Tuna that a bunch of foreigners go to about once a month. Meredith and I were invited by one of our coworkers to attend the monthly event, so we decided that we might as well give it a try. Keep in mind that I have never, ever had tuna before in my life, so I am really going to just give it a try. Well, we went to the restaurant after school and were waiting around for a little while until everyone else came. As we were sitting and talking, I was asked how much I liked raw fish. Well, I have never had it, but I guess I am always up for trying something once was what I told them, while in my head thinking no way, no how! And that's when it all came crashing down and I realized... this restaurant is for eating RAW tuna! Now, the owner of the place was very friendly, maybe a little too friendly, and was really bragging up his tuna (his raw tuna!), so I figured I could give it a try.

The owner brought us the first slices of the night... prepared it for us, and literally stuffed it in our mouths, saying "Best.. Best!" It was, in fact, not the best. I nearly gagged! He brought out another cut and, again, shoved it in our mouths. The experience was the same, and I had to discretely spit it out in a napkin and put it in my purse until I could dispose of it later! I tried one more piece and still couldn't do it! When he saw us struggling a little, he said he would bring out some grilled tuna. This, on the other hand, was actually really good.

As I left Tuna, the only positive thing I could think of was the fact that I could now say that I have actually tried raw fish! Even though I will not be going back there for raw tuna again, I am glad that I went.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Em,
    Sounds like you're having a great time. Eating raw fish is something everyone has to try at some point but I agree with you that it's not that great! Keep enjoying your new experiences and I look forward to reading about your next adventure. Miss you in the states.
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe sushi rolls would have been a better transition?

    ReplyDelete